We believe in sustainability, not just for our business, but in our daily life. We do reduce, reuse, and recycle – in fact, we usually have one tiny little bag of trash every week, but our recycling and green waste/composting bin is overflowing; excess water goes out to plants instead of down a drain; we combine car trips and ride-share to reduce our carbon footprint; and I use reusable containers rather than throw-away one-time use containers.
With a background in Environmental Science and Geography, and a Master’s Thesis written about sustainability (Ecology, Equity, & Economy), my goal is to:
- share ecological wisdom;
- support local community businesses (including farms),
- support social justice, so that everyone has educational and economic opportunity;
- consider global responsibility (think globally, act locally);
- have eco-friendly and sustainable business practices (reduced paper use, use recycled paper and soy inks, offer rental vases and lovely vintage items that can be returned for reuse, use soy wax instead of paraffin wax candles, source local and Californian-grown flowers, avoid use of floral foam);
- purchase ethically (union-made, fair-trade, living wage, organic) whenever possible;
- utilize organics in flowers, food, and consumer products when available to reduce pesticide and toxins load;
- volunteer for, and donate to, worthwhile charities and causes;
- live a simple, not lavish, lifestyle;
- celebrate the outdoors and the joy of nature;
- tread lightly while outdoors;
- live sustainably and ethically; and
- follow a vegetarian way of life.
What does this mean for your wedding?
You may not notice anything, and just have the satisfaction of knowing that I’ve done all I can through my business practices and personal ethics to green your wedding and promote sustainability. I am an absolute favorite of wedding couples choosing rustic or outdoor weddings, in particular.
I will design flowers so that you and your guests can lift them out and take them home, if you wish (and are renting the vases). If you choose to have me come back to clean up, I will donate flowers that you or your guests don’t take to local nursing homes.
Leftover flowers (I order a margin of flowers more than calculated, much like a caterer, just in case) are donated to the local high school’s FFA Florist classroom.
You will also note that I encourage your own creativity, and you will find that my designs are simply beautiful, focusing on design and the flowers themselves, but not huge, expensive, and overdone. Overdone is over.
Help you achieve an eco-friendly, sustainable wedding
Whether you hire me to design your wedding flowers and decor, or you hire me for concierge/planning services, I will make suggestions to you that promote an eco-friendly and sustainable wedding. You will make the choice, of course, of what you would like to do.
Your wedding is what YOU want, not what society and current culture and advertisements leads you to believe is required.
Sustainable weddings have different meanings to different people. A sustainable wedding can be:
- Intimate, with only family and close friends invited;
- Cruelty-free or vegan;
- Utilize local, in-season, “farm-to-fork” foods;
- Frugal and less expensive;
- Less consumption-oriented;
- More about your family and close friends;
- More meaningful and authentic; and
- Demonstrates your personal values.
A sustainable and eco-friendly wedding can be beautiful, creative, elegant, and unforgettable! Let us help you define your wedding in a way that is in tune with your personal beliefs and lifestyle.
I donate a percentage of my gross sales to charitable causes. Charities that I am passionate about include those that support:
- children and youth at risk;
- the elderly;
- animal welfare;
- education and opportunity for disadvantaged communities;
- social justice causes; and
- environmental causes.
If you have a particular 501(c)3 charity or category mentioned above that you would like your wedding to support, please let me know.
Some of the causes I have donated to, and my family has volunteered their time for, include;
- Homeboy Industries (Nothing Stops a Bullet Like A Job) [youth services and intervention for youth at risk of gang affiliation]
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) El Dorado County [foster child advocates] http://www.casaeldorado.org/
- Ponderosa High School Agriculture Department, Floral Design [high school vocational education]
- PAWED (People for Animal Welfare in El Dorado County) [animal shelter foundation]
- El Dorado County Animal Services [animal shelter]
- Animal Outreach of the Mother Lode [animal rescue]
- Fresno Bully Rescue [animal rescue]
- Mercy Way Rescue [winter homeless shelter/transportation]
- Foothill Dog Rescue [dog rescue]
- Eskaton Lodge Cameron Park [senior living / assisted living facility]
- Master Food Preservers [teaching safe home food preservation]
- Shingle Springs Community Alliance [grassroots community activism]
Seeds of Giving
At my classes, I offer students my own packets of pesticide-free seeds for a small donation. The donation jar will highlight the non-profit that 100% of the Seeds of Giving donations will go to from that class.
green wedding, sustainable, eco-friendly, farm to fork, farm-to-fork, vegan, organic, california grown, wedding flowers, wedding florist, wedding, flowers, sacramento, lake tahoe, placerville, shingle springs, cameron park, coloma, el dorado, diamond springs, el dorado hills, foresthill, georgetown, winery, apple hill, camino, pollock pines, georgetown, auburn, folsom, rancho cordova, lodi, carmichael, citrus heights, roseville, granite bay, loomis, lincoln, grass valley, stateline, homewood, incline village, tahoe city, squaw valley, olympic valley, truckee, alternative, bouquet, corsage, bout, boutonniere, halo, flowergirl, flower girl, ringbearer, ring bearer, ceremony, reception, cake, DIY, bulk, eco, catering, supplies, vintage, glam, rustic, country, zen, modern, unfussy, contemporary, natural, streamline, steampunk, goth, gothic, sustainable, biker, tattoo, floral, design, classes, floral design classes, sacramento wedding flowers, placerville wedding flowers, lake tahoe wedding flowers, coloma wedding flowers, camino wedding flowers, apple hill wedding flowers, foresthill wedding flowers, copper, wedding jewelry, silver, faux, silk, sola wood, cotton, mason jar, brass, eclectic, vintage glass, silverplate, vintage, china, tutorials, how to make a wedding bouquet, rentals, LGBT, gay wedding, el dorado county